Spanish Chicken Stew With Cannellini Beans & Chorizo
by John Hazelton, Chef, Metro Kitchen + Drinkery, Sacramento, California
This one-pan dish boasts effortless Mediterranean flavors, and it’s mostly hands-off—making it perfect for entertaining.
- 12 Smart Chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans, Cannellini or similar, drained
- 1 pound dry Spanish chorizo, sliced into to ¼-inch coins (substitute spicy cooked Italian sausage or sausage of your choosing)
- 5 ounces arugula
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rustic bread, for serving (optional)
Season chicken thighs generously with salt and pepper. In a Dutch oven or ovenproof pan, brown chicken on both sides in oil. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Add chopped vegetables to the pan and sauté until tender and browned. Add the white wine to deglaze the pan and simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Add chicken stock and plum tomatoes, including the liquid. Add fennel seed, minced garlic, chili flakes, thyme, bay leaves, and smoked paprika. Bring to simmer, add salt and pepper to taste. Adjust seasonings. Add browned chicken thighs back to the pan.
Transfer to the oven for 1 hour. Remove from oven and stir in drained beans, sausage, and arugula (saving some for garnish). Finish with juice of one lemon. Garnish with remaining arugula. Serve with crusty rustic bread.
Pairing: Sobon Wine’s 2014 Old Vine Zinfandel