Roasted Red Pepper Pasta With Chicken
The subtle sweetness of red bell peppers really shines here, especially when paired with succulent chicken and fresh herbs. Easy to make with loads of flavor, this recipe is sure to kick up your pasta game—even on a weeknight!
- 12 ounces pasta
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 or 4 red bell peppers, cores and stems removed
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth, or more as needed
- ½ teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ to ½ cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 pound boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan shavings
- Minced fresh parsley, for serving
- Chopped fresh basil, for serving
Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions.
Arrange the bell peppers (cores and stems removed) flat on a foil-lined backing sheet. Brush with olive oil and broil under a medium to high broiler until skin begins to char and bubble.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté the onions until translucent, then add garlic and sauté another 2 to 3 minutes until starting to soften.
Carefully transfer the onions and garlic and the roasted red peppers to a blender or food processor and pulse a few times. Add the veggie or chicken stock and blend until smooth; you may need to add more stock to achieve a sauce consistency, especially if omitting cream. Pour the sauce back into the pan. Splash in the cream (optional) and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Combine the cooked pasta and the red pepper sauce. Add the chicken, Parmesan, parsley, and basil and stir. Serve immediately.