Roasted Chicken Legs With Charred Carrots & Honey Yogurt
by Ben Bettinger, Chef, Laurelhurst Market, Portland, Oregon
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel seed
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon ground black peppercorn
- 6 to 8 Smart Chicken legs or 4 Smart Chicken leg quarters
- 1½ tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Combine the fennel seed, coriander, and ground black pepper. Season the chicken legs with the salt and then with the spice mix (there may be some spice mix left). Heat the oil in a cast iron pan over medium heat and sear the legs, skin side down, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, then transfer to the oven. Cook the chicken until the legs reach an internal temperature of 165°F on a thermometer. Let rest for a few minutes before serving. For crispier skin, finish under the oven broiler for a few minutes, checking often to ensure the legs don’t burn.
- Charred Carrots With Honey Yogurt
- 2 bunches rainbow or traditional baby carrots, washed, peeled, and tops trimmed to 1 inch*
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed
- Mint leaves, stems removed, for serving
- Cilantro leaves, large stems removed, for serving
- *If the carrots are small enough (about 6 to 7 inches in length and no bigger than a nickel around) roast them whole; if not, split them lengthwise. Keep in mind that the size of the carrots will determine exact cooking time.
In a cast iron pan, heat oil over medium heat and add carrots. (Avoiding overcrowding the pan.) Cook, turning the carrots every few minutes, then reduce the heat to medium-low once the carrots begin to achieve some color. Once the carrots feel just about al dente, add the garlic slices and cook for 1 additional minute, making sure not to burn. Deglaze the pan with the apple cider vinegar and add harissa and butter; remove from heat and swirl until butter, vinegar, and harissa form a sauce. Adjust seasoning as needed with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, combine the yogurt and honey and stir. Serve the carrots over a dollop of honey yogurt, with the chicken legs on top or off to the side; garnish with the pomegranate seeds and the fresh herbs.
Pairing: Sauvignon Blanc