Little Chicken Meatballs With Asian Flavors
by Lucia Watson, Chef , Lucia’s Restaurant, Minneapolis, Minn.
- 1 1/4 pounds ground Smart Chicken
- 1 egg white
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch plus extra for rolling meatballs
- Splash soy sauce or tamari
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup peanut or vegetable oil
- Ginger Dipping Sauce
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely minced scallion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime, lemon, or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of red chili flakes
Combine all the ingredients for Ginger Dipping Sauce and stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
Put ground chicken, egg, onions, garlic, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch, red pepper flakes, and tamari or soy sauce into a food processor and blend until smooth. Shape into tiny meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter. Roll the meatballs in a little extra cornstarch. Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat and add the meatballs. Cook over medium heat until golden brown and cooked through, turning as necessary. Skewer each meatball with a little toothpick and serve with Ginger Dipping Sauce, garnished with fresh mint and cilantro sprigs.