Healthier Chicken Alfredo
by Amber Pankonin, Registered Dietitian, StirList, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rotini noodles, cooked according to package directions
- 1 pound boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Wondra quick-mixing flour
- ½ cup reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
Cut chicken breasts into ¼-inch strips and season with salt and pepper. In a large sauté pan, bring canola oil to medium heat. Add chicken and cook until slightly browned, approximately 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
While chicken is cooking, melt unsalted butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and let cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over the butter and garlic mixture and combine to create a paste (called a roux). Add the chicken broth and milk and let cook for 3 to 4 additional minutes, continuously stirring. Lower the heat and, once the sauce has thickened, add the cooked chicken.
Combine cooked rotini pasta with chicken Alfredo mixture. Garnish with shaved Parmesan and chopped parsley.