Grilled Chicken Satay Tenders With Mixed Green Salad
by Bonita Lao, Chef, Bonita Lao Catering, Kailua Kona, Hawaii
- 1 package (about 1½ pounds) Smart Chicken tenders
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs cilantro
- ¼-inch piece of ginger
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, toasted
- 12 skewers, soaked for 30 minutes in water
Season chicken tenders with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl.
In a blender, combine the coconut milk, turmeric, garlic, cilantro, ginger, and coriander then blend until smooth. Pour the marinade over the seasoned chicken tenders and let rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Thread each tender onto a skewer. Spray chicken tenders lightly with vegetable oil spray and grill both sides. The tenders cook quickly, so when you get nice grill marks, flip them over and grill the other side until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Serve with the Mixed Green Salad (recipe follows).
- Mixed Green Salad
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 3 heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- ¼ cup peanuts, toasted
In a large bowl, combine the salad greens, tomatoes, avocado, and peanuts. Dress the salad lightly with the Vinaigrette (recipe follows) and toss.
- ¼ cup Bragg Liquid Aminos*, or substitute tamari
- 1½ cups quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- *Bragg Liquid Aminos is a non-GMO, gluten-free liquid seasoning that is similar to soy sauce and derived from soybeans.
In a small bowl, whisk together the Liquid Aminos, olive oil, and pepper until well combined.
Pairing: Kirin Brewery’s Kirin Ichiban, or Sapporo beer