Gluten-Free Chermoula Chicken Gyro
by Robert Landolphi, Chef, Quick-Fix Gluten Free, Hampton, Connecticut
This unique recipe turns a few simple ingredients into a satisfying weeknight meal. You can even prep the sauce ahead of time, making a healthy, gluten-free meal that much easier to get on the table.
- 12 (9-inch) gluten-free tortillas
- 3 pounds Smart Chicken tenders
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of half lemon
- Salt, as needed
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
Preheat the grill or char broiler to medium–high heat.
Brush tortillas with olive oil and grill for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until slightly charred, then set aside.
Season the chicken tenders with salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Place the chicken on the grill and cook tenders 2 to 3 minutes per side, until cooked through. Fill each tortilla with chicken tenders, 1 tablespoon Chermoula Sauce (recipe follows), shredded lettuce, onions, and diced tomatoes, and serve.
- Chermoula Sauce
- Makes about 1 cup
- 1 bunch (about 2 ounces) cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1 bunch (about 2 ounces) flat-leaf Italian parsley leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- Pinch of saffron
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons to ¼ cup sour cream
In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients, except sour cream, and process until a thick, smooth sauce is formed. Transfer to a bowl, fold in sour cream, and refrigerate until ready to serve.