Fried Chicken Sliders With Pimiento Cheddar
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
- 1½ to 2 pounds Smart Chicken tenderloins, cut in half
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) jar sliced pimiento peppers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Canola or peanut oil, for frying
- 1 package sweet rolls
- 1 jar sliced pickles, for serving
Season the chicken tenders with salt and pepper, submerge in buttermilk, and set aside. In a food processor, combine cream cheese, cheddar, garlic, cayenne, and pimiento peppers and season with salt and pepper. Pulse until smooth and set aside.
In a large pot or fryer, heat oil to 325°F. Remove the tenders from the buttermilk and dredge in flour. Re-soak in buttermilk and dredge in flour again. Fry the tenders until golden-brown, and internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F.
To serve, toast each bun. Assemble the sliders by spreading the cheese on the bun and topping each with pickles and fried chicken.