Sweet & Smoky Chicken Curry
by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 package boneless skinless Smart Chicken drumsticks or thighs, cubed
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large red pepper, diced
- 1 small eggplant, diced
- 1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced into ½-inch half moons
- 4 tablespoons curry powder (such as vadouvan curry*)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Green onion, cilantro, and lime, for serving
*Vadouvan curry—a French take on curry powder—gets its sweet and smoky flavor from shallots, onions, and fenugreek, along with other traditional curry spices. Find it at specialty spice shops or online.
To a large soup pot over medium-high heat, add canola oil. Generously season the chicken with salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to the pot and sear until golden brown on all sides. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper, and eggplant. Sauté for about 10 minutes, or until all vegetables are soft and translucent. Stir the curry powder into the vegetables until covered. Add the coconut milk and chicken stock and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Five minutes before serving, add the zucchini and let simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chopped green onions, cilantro, and lime wedges.