Parmesan-Crusted Chicken Breast with Fennel, Apple & Arugula Slaw
by Lewis Orlady, The Lodge Restaurant & Pub, Truckee, California
- 2 boneless skinless Smart Chicken® breasts
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and cracked pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 8 ounces panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Canola oil, for cooking
Place chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap and lightly pound to approximately ¼- inch thick. Cover and refrigerate.
Prepare three shallow bowls: one with seasoned flour, one with beaten eggs, and one with a combination of panko, salt, parsley, and Parmesan. Dredge the chicken breasts in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Dredge each piece of chicken in flour, then coat in egg wash, and dredge in panko mixture. Set aside.
To a large skillet over medium, add a drizzle of canola oil. When the oil is hot, add the breaded chicken. Lower the heat and cook until browned and crisp on both sides, turning only once, approximately 3 minutes per side. Remove chicken to a paper towel. To serve, drizzle each plate with Lemon Aioli (recipe follows). Serve the chicken topped with a generous portion of Fennel, Apple & Arugula Slaw (recipe follows).
Fennel, Apple & Arugula Slaw
- ¼ to ½ small bulb fennel, trimmed and halved
- 1 Granny Smith apple, halved and cored
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 medium shallots, peeled and sliced
- ¾ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ½ cup Sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
Using a mandolin, shave the fennel and apple into a medium bowl. Add the baby arugula, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
Sauté the garlic and shallot with 1 tablespoon olive oil and transfer to a blender. Add the rice and Sherry vinegars, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper to the blender, cover, and blend slowly. Add 1 cup olive oil and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. You will need to stir this dressing, as it is not emulsified. (Extra dressing will keep for 6 weeks in the refrigerator.) Dress the slaw just before serving, tossing gently to incorporate.
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1½ tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Zest of 1 lemon
In a bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, water, lemon juice, garlic, mustard, and lemon zest. Set aside until ready to serve.