Lighter Butter Chicken
by Amber Pankonin, Registered Dietitian, StirList, Lincoln, Nebraska
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 pounds boneless skinless Smart Chicken breasts or tenders, cubed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Cooked brown rice, for serving
Using the sauté function on your pressure cooker, melt butter and add the red bell pepper, white onion, and garlic. Stir and cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the ginger, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, cayenne, and salt. Stir and cook for one additional minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and chicken stock. Stir the mixture and add the chicken.
Secure the lid to your pressure cooker and seal according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Cook on high for 10 minutes. Let the chamber slow release for about 10 minutes. After you’ve allowed the pressure to slow release, move the valve to the quick release position. Once the steam has released, open the pressure cooker.
Add flour and stir well. Stir in the Greek yogurt and serve immediately over brown rice.