by Benjamin Maides, Chef, Au Courant Regional Kitchen, Omaha, Nebraska
- 12 Smart Chicken tenders
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon chili powder or taco seasoning
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, quartered
- 1 small red onion, sliced into ¼-inch rings
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving (optional)
- Crema or sour cream, for serving (optional)
Heat a grill to medium-high heat (about 375°F). Season the chicken tenders with canola oil, salt, pepper, and chili powder. Let rest about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, drizzle the bell peppers and red onion with canola oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the vegetables to a nice light char on all sides, transfer to a bowl, and cover with plastic wrap to let the vegetables soften.
Preheat the oven broiler to high and spread the tortillas on a sheet pan. Broil until crispy, about 2 to 5 minutes. (Be sure to keep an eye on the tortillas, as they can burn quickly under the oven broiler.) Grill the chicken tenders until they reach 165°F. To the bowl with the peppers, add the avocado and lime juice and season with salt and pepper as needed. Top each tostada with chicken and vegetables. Serve with cilantro and crema or sour cream (optional).